Timespinner’s graphics, time-hopping storyline and general ambience is a reminder of Chrono Trigger. Lunar Ray Games’ project is no JRPG though. Currently on Kickstarter, it is a “2D #Metroidvania Platformer for PC, Mac OS X, and Linux”, which provides us with the perfect opportunity to introduce the irritating term ChronoVania. The ‘V’ must be capitalised.
This is a delightful looking game, using the time travel device to introduce a variety of environments filled with robotic enemies that pursue lead character Lunais through history. The team, led by Bodie Lee (formerly of Bungie), are seeking $50,000 and have already raised over $10,000 after a day of crowdfunding.
[kickstarter url=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lunarraygames/timespinner width=”480″]
The time freezing power is such a simple thing but opens up the possibility of rooms and bosses that would be impossible without it. There’s something about a screen packed with enemies or giant machines of death, all drills and thrusting blades, that just so pleasing. Combining the story worlds of Star Ocean, the expansive gothic castle exploration in Castlevania, and the tight gameplay of Megaman X, Timespinner seeks to weave all of these elements into one amazing game.
The project page has lots of lovely animated gifs to go with the video above and doesn’t skimp on words either. There’s backstory aplenty – Bodie has been cooking up the history of this fictional galaxy for 18 years with a childhood friend – but the best word is ‘clobber’. What made him use that particular verb to describe the combat but we are extremely glad that he did.
The story of Timespinner follows Lunais, a young woman with the power to control time, who seeks revenge on a technologically advanced empire for killing her family. As you play the game, you will:
- Stop time to evade foes, use them as platforms, and solve puzzles.
- Explore a large connected world with areas such as a medieval castle, a petrified forest, a bustling metropolis, and a space-age laboratory.
- Clobber enemies with Magic Orbs found throughout the world. Every Orb has both a unique melee and ranged-spell attack that grow in power the more you use them.
- Travel through time to different eras across the planet’s tumultuous history and reach areas inaccessible in other time periods.
- Upgrade abilities and purchase new ones with Entropy Gems obtained from fallen foes and secret chests.
- Discover hidden areas and treasure through breakable walls and platforming puzzles
- Fight intense boss battles with heavy emphasis on skill, timing, and dodging.
- Adventure alongside companion Familiars such as Meyef, the dream dragon, and more!
There’s a $10 early bird pledge level, although most of the worms have been scoffed already. Next tier is $15, which gets you the game, a backer-exclusive familiar, PDF instructions and your name in the credits. Those are going to be some long credits.
Timespinner is not due for release until November 2015.