A Quiver of Crows is a very difficult #twinstick shmup that features unique #physics and organic environments. The most unique aspect of the game is the enemies rag-dolling upon death, their bodies becoming obstacles that can pile up and block the player’s bullets. The result is chaos when hoards of enemies are attacking from all sides. The main characters are crows and the enemies are demons, skeletons, and ghouls all silhouetted against vibrant backdrops which are inspired by the different times of the day – from the bright colors of the morning to the dark colors of night. The game is a twin-stick action game with many influences from traditional on-rails shmups. Namely, it features a weapon upgrade system that includes 4 weapons each upgradable to 4 levels. Three special attacks and shield pickups are also available. All in all, players can expect a modern take on the traditional shmup.
A Quiver of Crows gameplay style looks very different. Combining a twin-stick shooter with the platforming element, while challenging and keeping the player guessing.
The art style really resembles the graphical features of Red Game Without A Great Name and Green Game: TimeSwapper. Which is not to say it’s disappointing, just familiar in some respects.
While the idea of a crow shooting other birds seems a bit odd, almost ridiculous, but developer Sheado.net does not seem to mind. After all, this is a twin-stick schump and how many unique characters have been re-used over and over? Not a crow apparently.
What are the features available in A Quiver of Crows?
Frantic Battles in a Grim World
- Unlike most shmups, this world is made up of flesh, bones, and dirt instead of the common rigid objects such as ships set in space.
- Each enemy type has a unique set of behaviors.
- Most foes do not follow preset patterns. Instead, they try to hunt you down.
- Some enemies fly in close for melee combat. Others will shoot from a far away range.
Co-op Twin-Stick Action
- The game blends the insanity of shmups with the free range of motion of twin-stick shooters.
- Find a friend. Find a couch. Have tons of fun with the optional single-screen couch co-op!
Upgradeable Weapons, Bombs, and Shields
- Collect and enhance a variety of weapons. Influenced by traditional shmups, watch as your weapons’ firing trajectory and pattern change with each upgrade.
- From heat seeking quills to things that go BOOM, collect them all and use them to crush your foes!
- Upgrade your shields to withstand relentless attacks.
Play on Linux, Mac & Windows
- Best played with a twin-stick controller. Steer with the left stick, aim with the right.
- Never fear! You can also use your keyboard and mouse.
A Quiver of Crows twin-stick shmup is available via Steam on Linux, Mac and Windows PC with a 10% discount until October 26th.