It was just a matter of time before someone took an oldschool screensaver and got the inspiration for a relaxing game. In #AmongRipples is a free-to-play #game for Linux, Mac and Windows PC where you are presented with a soothing and meditative experience to experiment at your #leisure. As the caretaker of a small pond you decide which creatures should be introduced into the ecosystem, and what species will thrive. Study the creatures you introduce and learn more about them in order to shape a pond that you find sustainable. This game is a short but sweet experience where you get the opportunity to relax and think about the balance in nature.
Obviously, we are interested in taking on the ecosystem simulator Among Ripples, it’s free on Steam.
A simple little sandbox about poking at a watercolour-picturesque lake’s ecosystem, fiddling with the water and adding life to see what happens. You can add six species – pike, dace, and perch fish, crayfish and clams, and a friendly otter – and tweak the oxygen level, then they’ll get on with their lives. They’ll eat, eat each other, die, rot, and swim around looking cute for you to enjoy. Goals are your own to set.
* Complex ecosystem which rewards the player for making informed decisions
* Consequences which will have impact on everything
* Sandbox style gameplay where you are free to choose your own goals
* Intuitive communication of the game system
* Organic art style drawing inspiration from shadow puppet animations and watercolor paintings
* Serene soundtrack with ambience changing with the seasons
* Relaxed experience where you can take your time and see how things progress at your own pace
Aside from the life-and-death peril of wondering whether you’re killing an otter or seeing pike devour everything, it’s quite relaxing. The background’s like a watercolour painting, while the creatures are colourful silhouettes, and gentle music plays.