Bioware’s Aurora 3D game engine is currently being reimplemented by a new open source project: eos. Many popular games like Neverwinter Nights, Neverwinter Nights 2, Star Wars: KOTOR, Star Wars: KOTOR 2 use Aurora engine or its modified version as the base.
The project will initially focus on Neverwinter Nights and Star Wars: KOTOR. Support for other games will be improved later on. However, eos is in very early stages and most of the things don’t work yet but support for main foundation of the engine is coming along nicely.
– “Engine” framework
– Global configuration subsystem
– Debug console with readline-like abilities
– Reading classes for a shockful of BioWare file formats, including archives, images, GFF formats
– Resource manager
– Basic manager classes for 3D graphics and sound
– Playing of Bink videos (decoder courtesy of the FFmpeg project)
– XMV demuxer (which we then reworked to fit into FFmpeg)
– Animation subsystem
– 3D positional audio
– WMV p-frames
A list of planned features can be found here. Check out the video:
Currently only one person, DrMcCoy is working on eos, so the project needs your help. More info can be found on project page on GitHub.