[gigya height=”360″ src=”https://d3mlfyygrfdi2i.cloudfront.net/321f/kickplayer.swf?” flashvars=”allowfullscreen=true&autostart=false&backcolor=000000&controlbar=over&file=https%3A%2F%2Fd2pq0u4uni88oo.cloudfront.net%2Fprojects%2F642055%2Fvideo-286934-h264_high.mp4&image=https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fksr%2Fprojects%2F642055%2Fphoto-full.jpg&project_creators=A+Video+Games+project+by+Paper+Machete+Games&project_title=Attack+of+the+Gelatinous+Blob%3A+RTS+game+meets+tower+assault&project_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kickstarter.com%2Fprojects%2F353817188%2Fattack-of-the-gelatinous-blob-rts-game-meets-tower&screencolor=000000&skin=https%3A%2F%2Fd3mlfyygrfdi2i.cloudfront.net%2Fcc3a%2Fkickskin.swf&wmode=opaque” width=”480″ ]
Developed by Paper Machete Games for Windows, Mac and Linux, Attack of the Gelatinous Blob is a real time strategy game mixed with some tower assault elements.
In the game you play the mad scientist, Dr. Blob, who controls a horde of blobs set on taking over the world. The blobs have exciting abilities where they can change their attacks and skills based on what they eat. You can combine them to create horrific slimy monstrosities, gelatinous cubes, and slime puddles.
The blobs are an interesting creation in that they change their abilities depending on what they eat. This can change their attack from melee to ranged, their type of damage, speed, health, you name it. Blobs can also be combined to create larger and nastier blobs.
Attack of the Gelatinous Blob DEMO
Give it a try! It’s buggy and missing some polish. But at least you know there is actually a game here.
The game is a cross between a Real Time Strategy (RTS) game and Tower Assault. You, as the player, are invading cities and to do so you must build a base and amass an army. The defenders will also build up their defenses, and they will attack you as well if provoked enough. Each city or town will have its own unique layout that presents different challenges to the attacker and the defender. The defender AI is dynamic, so depending on how the player attacks or what the player builds, this will determine how they defend.
The design goal is to be a bit more of a casual RTS game that most people can pick up quickly without worrying about clicks-per-minute skill requirements prominent in the genre. But still keeping it challenging and dynamic with different strategies available to the player.
The base attack for the blobs is to bite or bash a target. However if they eat some organic material they can emit a nauseating spore cloud that not only damages the enemy, but also makes them ill. Other materials can convert the blobs into ranged attackers.
You can go over the supply limit, however some of the blobs will not listen to orders as well as they should. They might ignore them, wander off, or take their sweet time performing them. If you build way over your limit, the blobs will begin to rage: attacking anything in sight.
Each level presents different obstacles and opportunities for the humans to defend their precious towns. As the levels can be created by the players using the level editor, the Human AI needs to be dynamic and able to adapt to any scenario it is presented with. The AI can figure out the areas that need to be defended the most as well as the most vulnerable or the most highly-attacked.
Current Game Features:
Much of the game code is already completed and we have a working demo. Here are some of the features already completed:
- The blobs: Spawn, combine, transform, and morph blobs to create a customizable army.
- Build a Base: Construct a base to gather resources, increase your army, and defend yourself.
- Dynamic AI: The opponent AI will react to how you play and learn from it. They build turrets and send soldiers and police to thwart your attacks.
- Mad Scientific Research: Experiment with new materials and technology to improve and change your blobs.
- Modding capabilities: Change the game however you want! It also has a level editor and easy scripting built in.
- Commands: Efficient mouse and keyboard interaction.
- Platforms: Windows, Mac, Linux.
- Updates: Automatic and frequent.
Beyond what we have implemented, there are several features we need before the game is complete. And that is what we need some funding for.
- Doomsday weapons: Something only a mad scientist can dream up.
- Unique Levels: 7 more levels (to make 10 total) that present different challenges to the player and the computer. You and the AI will have to adjust your strategies accordingly!
- New Blob Abilities: Harder, faster, slimier! Split into multiple slimes when killed? Why not!
- Human Army: Tanks, jeeps, and artillery to battle Dr. Blob and his horde.
Kickstarter is the ideal community to work with to not only achieve some much-needed funding but to also leverage the great ideas and enthusiasm that the community has. We want to work with you while creating this game.
Paper Machete Games have been self funding the game for two years now and have completed most of the core mechanics of the game along with much of the assets. But it has come to the point where funds are required to finish the remaining work.