Strategy and #creativity play hand in hand as players build custom spaceships to take into battle. With access to more than 175 components and over a billion ship variations, players create spacecrafts capable of eliminating their enemies. However, ships must also have strategically-placed weak points as it will ultimately fall into rival hands.
Defect includes a campaign with more than 50 missions and four other singleplayer modes.
Build a ship, complete a mission and wave it goodbye when your crew defects to the other side. Then design a new ship to hunt down those mutinous traitors in an endless cycle of punishment and revenge. Try not to make your designs too good, because odds are you will be fighting them pretty soon.
- Unprecedented freedom of creation – Create the most powerful ship in the galaxy piece by piece, with more than 180 components available and many more to come.
- Exploit your designs – Create the perfect design to complete the mission, but remember to build in a weakness you can exploit later when your crew inevitably turns against you.
- Epic scale – Unlimited combinations available from tiny fighters up to battle stations the size of a small moon.
- Fight your friends’ ships – Upload your successful ships and take on the best designs your friends have to offer.
- Dynamic Music System – Compose a distinct musical theme for your ship based on the components used to build it.
The game has two phases: Construction and combat. The construction phase involves placing a power core that determines the size of the ship that can be built, and then adding a selection of ship components. These can be placed, scaled and rotated in any arrangement and will operate according to game rules/physics, affording you a high degree of creativity.
Ship components have a range of stats and behaviors based on their main function. There are three main visual styles; TriStage components are very industrial and mass produced, SSN is a streamlined vision of the future and 2255 is a retro throwback to the days of pulp magazines and the space race. New styles and themes are planned and will be based on feedback from our community.
Build your dream space craft from key components:
- Core – Install the power source of a ship and also the ultimate weak point.
- Weapons – Choose from lasers, blasters, missiles, torpedoes, mines, rail guns, turrets, flak guns, point defense guns and much more.
- Crew – They’re just going to turn against you and chuck you into space, but sadly, you still need crew to run your ship.
- Hull – This is where a ship gets most of its armor from.
- Wings – Despite what ‘scientists’ will tell you, space dynamics is a real thing and wings will help you to design a much more agile and maneuverable ship.
- Engines – The real difference between a good ship and floating space garbage.
- Special – Certain components will boost or specialize the abilities of your ship. Fighter decks, shields, radar, heat sinks, exhaust ports, ion intakes, flares and counter measures can all be used to give you an edge, but can also leave you vulnerable if you can’t protect them.
The combat phase involves you controlling your ship from a top-down 2D perspective and taking on enemy ships. If victorious, you move on to the next mission. If you fail it’s back to the drawing board to design a new ship that might fare better.
Defect is now fully released on Steam for Linux, Mac and Windows PC.