The 2D cyberpunk action RPG, Dex from developers Dreadlocks just released for Linux, Mac, Windows PC and will also be coming to OUYA and Wii U very soon. As a side-scrolling, open-world cyberpunk RPG the focus is on exploration and non-linear gameplay. Which is rather impressive for a side-scroller.
Previously funded on Kickstarter way back in December 2013, the title has actually been available through the Steam Early Access Program since August 2014.
@DreadlocksEN Congrats! Gr8 job!
— 9lives.be (@9lives) May 8, 2015
- Rare melding of realism and creative vision: Realistic action, mature storyline, and complex character interactions meld with hand-drawn characters, animations, and locations, arcade-style melee combat, and an original conception of cyberspace.
- Multiple solutions to problems: Operate in cyberspace or normal reality. Overcome obstacles using skills, weapons, special equipment…
- Meaningful character progression choices: Will you be a silent assassin, a hacker, or a straightforward gunfighter? Improve your character and gear to unlock gameplay-changing upgrades that reinforce and customize your gameplay style.
- Unique hacking mechanic: Transfer your consciousness to your avatar, overcome intrusion countermeasures, take action, and then return back to your body in a fraction of a real-time second to see the results – deactivated turrets, overloaded devices, enemies with crippled implants…
- Neo-cyberpunk: Story deeply inspired by the cyberpunk novels of William Gibson and other classical cyberpunk authors, flavored with a contemporary concept of augmented reality.
- Rich game world and mindful level design: Visit diverse locations in Harbor Prime, a futuristic city complete with luxurious skyscrapers, run-down shantytowns, and seedy red-light districts. Take part in street brawls, steal corporate data, overcome environmental hazards, and, of course, stay alive – no easy task.
- Full voice acting: Interactive dialogues using hand-drawn sprite animations, fully voice-acted by professional actors.
The open-world RPG is al about uncovering the truth behind an AI, “who is striving to reach the Singularity, an ‘event horizon’. Where the Artificial Intelligence will surpass human intelligence and all bets about the future will be off.” How you explore and learn about Harbor Prime, the futuristic city, the title is designed as a tribute to classic cyberpunk games from the 90s.
As the first game from developers Dreadlocks, an independent studio based in Prague, Czech Republic, founded back in 2011.
Dex is available on Steam and Humble Bundle for Linux, Mac, Windows PC and soon to be OUYA and Wii U.