This is a hellishly ambitious RPG game, Disco Elysium. Which also just launched on Windows PC, on October 15th, 2019. But the requests are also coming in for Linux support. Doing a quick search in the Steam Discussions. It’s clear that a Linux release is in demand. So we reached out to developer ZA/UM for details…
Linux Support Plans:
We’re well aware of our Linux based fans. Right now we’re focusing on squashing all the bugs as much as possible. With post launch patching and introducing some quality of life improvements to gameplay. The engine used is Unity.
I simply can’t promise anything with a timer on it yet mate. We will make a big announcement about it, once it happens.
So clear Linux support plans for Disco Elysium is in the mix. Although, there is no release date yet. Since porting will depend first on bug fixes and game updates.
The use of Unity 3D is also a pleasure to see. Likewise, the game engine makes it easier to release a Linux build.
Disco Elysium – Launch Trailer
Disco Elysium is a groundbreaking open world RPG game. Which also has an insane amount of choice and consequence. While you take on a detective with a unique skill system. With a whole city block to carve your path across. Interrogate unforgettable characters, crack murders or take bribes. So now you can be a hero or a prophet. Even a madman or the greatest detective the world has ever seen.
Disco Elysium Features:
- Unprecedented freedom of choice. Intimidate, sweet-talk, resort to violence, write poetry, sing karaoke, dance like a beast or solve the meaning of life. Disco Elysium is the most faithful representation of desktop RPG ever attempted in video games.
- Countless tools for role playing. Mix and match from 24 wildly different skills. Develop a personal style with 80 clothes items. Wield 14 tools from guns to flashlights to a boombox, or pour yourself a cocktail of 6 different psychoactive substances. Develop your character even further with 60 wild thoughts to think – with the detective’s Thought Cabinet.
- A revolutionary dialogue system with unforgettable characters. The world is alive with real people, not extras. Play them against each other, try to help them, or fall hopelessly in love. Disco Elysium’s revolutionary dialogue system, with partially voiced characters, lets you do almost anything.
- Carve your unique path across the city. Explore, manipulate, collect tare or become a millionaire in an open world unlike anything you’ve seen before. The city of Revachol is yours for the taking, one small piece at a time. From the streets to the beaches – and beyond.
- Hard boiled, hard core. Death, sex, taxes and disco – nothing is off the table. Revachol is a real place with real challenges. Solve a massive murder investigation, or relax and kick back with sprawling side-cases. The detective decides, the citizens abide.
You’ve never played anything like it.
- Over 60 hours of game time in a unique urban fantasy setting.
- An open world you can approach in any order – the bad part of the bad part of town with unforgettable characters.
- One massive open-ended case and tons of side investigations.
- Countless tools for role-playing: 24 mad skills to upgrade, over 80 different clothing items to wear, 12 tools to use, 8 psychoactive substances to discover, more than 50 unique “thoughts” to analyze and so on.
- A hauntingly beautiful original soundtrack by British Sea Power.
Disco Elysium is a groundbreaking open world RPG has support plans. So a Linux port is looking VERY possible. Seeing just a Windows PC port is far more limiting. Although there is some success via Proton. Which is priced at $39.99 USD. Available on Steam and also GOG.