Drox Operative 2 is a starship action RPG. The games also comes with alien races at war and fierce space battles. Plus a dynamic, evolving galaxy, and co-op multiplayer. With support for Linux gaming as well as Windows PC.
As of this post, Soldak released 14 patches with 579 total changes (which can be see here). Which consists of a ton of small fixes and balance changes. But the first update has big changes.
- Skill system: The biggest Drox Operative 2 change so far is probably the new skill/command system. Now instead of unlocking bigger ships and more slots with crew points in command. You unlock slots in the skill system. Since each ship has 21 slot skills and 21 general skills. Plus 14 race specific skills available to put skills points into. The slot skills are also basically the new way to get bigger ships and more slots. The general skills are available to all races which are generally weaker. But provide a little bit of everything. The race specific skills makes each race more unique. Since they are usually the more powerful skills in Drox Operative 2.
- Weapon Grouping: You can now group weapons (or other components). So that when you press a mouse button or key for a use slot. Then up to 4 components can be fired or used instead of the usual 1.
- Multiplayer: Soldak have improved multiplayer connectivity. So now traffice is better optimized to make the multiplayer experience even better.
- Young races: These young races that have random portraits, icons, and traits. All available since the start of early access. But now they are more interesting due to having random services. They can emerge into the Drox Operative 2 galaxy. So even though they are random, if they do well, they can become a more persistent friend or foe.
Drox Operative 2 trailer
- Guild Win: Guild quests have come back similar to what was in Invasion of the Ancients. Although instead of being mandatory they are optional. Now you will get a Guild Win if you complete enough of the guild guests.
- Resurrection: After your ship has been destroyed, respawn is now much safer. On respawn, your ship’s engines and thrusters are repaired. So you get 10 seconds of immunity to make it a bit easier to get back into the game.
- Crew Points: In Drox 1, pretty much every ship had to put most of their crew points into tactical. Now most of the Drox Operative 2 weapon types have an alternate crew attribute. Which you can meet the installation requirements for. For example, you can install fighters if your helm is high enough. Or maybe beam weapons if your computer specs are high enough.
- Icons: And last, but definitely not least. There are a ton of new icons for planet bonuses and random race portraits. Plus military stances, outsider attitudes, social stratification, and race traits.
That’s it for all of the major new changes, but there are still a lot of potential changes coming up (which you can see here). Hopefully I can start making a post like this each month.