Dwarf Fortress intricate sim game launches on Windows PC, but runs on Linux via Proton. Which is the result of the work from developer Bay 12 Games. Available on both Steam and itch with Overwhelmingly Positive reviews.
Developer Bay 12 Games are happy to share the highly anticipated and newly beginner-friendly Dwarf Fortress. This new version brings a brand new pixel art tileset. There is also a new helpful tutorial to onboard unfamiliar players. Plus a new soundtrack and sound effects. While offering a new user interface and navigable menus, and other quality of life additions. All due to level up the legendary civilization management and construction game. While not yet a native Linux release, Proton support is coming in at a Platinum level. The developers still need help with native Linux support.
Dwarf Fortress launches with the Fortress and Legends game modes that longtime players are familiar with. The team at Bay 12 plan to add the Adventure and Arena modes to these versions of Dwarf Fortress later on. Who are hard at work on making sure they are their best. You can learn more and see Dwarf Fortress’ Steam & Itch roadmap here. The team is also eager to share that Steam Workshop integration is available at launch. Due to make it easier for mod developers to create creative additions to the game.
Dwarf Fortress Steam Edition – Launch Trailer
The brand new soundtrack for this version of Dwarf Fortress. Along with tracks even made in the Dwarvish language. All composed by Dabu, Simon Swerwer and Águeda Macias. Available now for purchase separately on Steam and Bandcamp.
The classic version of Dwarf Fortress will remain available for download at no cost. And will continue to be supported in the future on Bay 12’s website. This future support includes mouse function and other upgrades in the Steam and Itch release.
- Not just generated geometry — a whole simulated world. Generated rise and fall of civilizations, personalities, creatures, cultures, etc. Infinite hours of gameplay
- Now with new beautiful pixel graphics!
- Learn the basics with Dwarf Fortress in-game tutorials.
- A lifetime “living” project. Created / updated since 2002, with no end in sight
- Generate your unique world and manage a bustling colony of dwarves. Even as they probably mine towards their eventual demise.
- A new endless hobby, just for you!