Everspace the ambitious roguelike space shooter more than #doubled the expected Kickstarter #goal with Linux, Mac and Windows PC support.
Developed using #UnrealEngine4 to achieve the blend of vast space environments to highly detailed ships and spectacular particle effects, along with a “non-linear story.” These features were more than enough to excite the community into raising more than the project’s initial $255,000 goal, with the campaign ending in just over $475,000. Check out the details for Everspace on Kickstarter for a more in-depth look at what developers Rockfish Games are expecting to achieve.
- Singleplayer Roguelike gameplay with persistent progression
- AAA-style visuals & sound and rock solid controls
- Captivating non-linear storytelling that perfectly fits the nature of a roguelike
- In-depth upgrade and damage system
- 1st and 3rd person action focus (no sim)
Space is a dangerous place and so are most of the encounters. Even though some beings will employ the player on special missions or sell useful equipment, the majority of NPCs will try to kill you in a variety of ways:
- a group of pirates launching from the hangar of a destructible outpost, breaking formation and trying to attack you from different vectors while their chief is giving the orders from a bulky war vessel and firing missiles at you from a safe distance!
- the players ship attacking a frigate which is using different defensive patterns and has multiple destroyable turrets and weak spots that can render the whole ship inoperable when critically hit!
- scavengers, traversing the system in search of easy prey or uncloaking right behind you!
- organic life forms lurking in asteroid fields surrounded by a dense plasma cloud only waiting to jump at the next target moving into their domain!
- Kamikaze fighters ramming their ship into yours when their hull integrity is low
During a run you can craft weapons, ammunition and devices that improve stats or offer whole new gameplay possibilities. Crafting is easy: you will need a blueprint and required resources and you are good to go:
- Maybe you are stranded in a desolate asteroid field; craft a mining rocket to extract fuel out of certain asteroids that will allow you to power up your jump drive and leave the place.
- Craft a cloaking device or an afterburner to fly past an overly powerful band of warships.
- Craft an extension to your laser weapon that enables the shield bypass feature.
Originally Everspace was to be released on PC through Steam, with virtual reality capabilities and visuals to make the game more breathtaking. While in the last 48 hours of the campaign, the Linux and Mac stretch goal was unlocked, expanding platform support along with various extra features. This was a rather risky way to offer support, however this also means the developers are now able to provide the game in a vast array of languages.
The successful campaign means that Everspace will be more than a concept soon, with an Alpha set to release in March 2016. And if you still want to back Rockfish Games, the same pledge tiers are now offered on the official website.