Since we are always keen to see new games make a debut on Linux, Mac and Windows. So titles like Foxhole the massively multiplayer game, could see a native port. Since the games developed in Unreal Engine 4. Which for most, should mean an automatic port, right?
Well that’s not the case, since Foxhole just released on Early Access via Steam. Which only has Windows support.
Yet, here’s what developer Clapfoot had to say:
“We are using the Unreal Engine 4 yes. We don’t have any near term plans to support Linux or Vulcan. But this is something that might be on the table later on in Early Access.”
The “might be” is more apt to, if we see enough demand. Since this is an Early Access game, so keeping support to one platform is easier. Then porting as demand increases, while Foxhole gains success in the community. Yeah yeah.. you get the idea.
So gameplay has you the player working with hundreds of players. All while trying to shape the outcome of a large scale war. Therefore, players ARE the content in this sandbox war game. Every individual soldier is a player that contributes to the war effort. Using logistics, base building, reconnaissance, combat, and more. Sort of like Day of Infamy but from a top-down perspective.
Foxhole Early Access Trailer:
- Sandbox warfare, where players determine the narrative of a long term war.
- Players drive every element of war, from weapon manufacturing and base building to strategy and combat.
- Execute long term strategies that take days of planning, changing the tide of the war.
- Top-down, tactical combat where skills and strategy matter more than stats or XP points.
- Conquer and relinquish territories in a back and forth, high stakes conflict.
- Capture and setup supply lines to keep your front line well equipped.
- Play as a persistent character throughout the war, gaining notoriety and influence among your faction.
- Ammunition, resources, and information are limited, requiring players to work together to win.
- Dynamic battle conditions: Use the time of day and terrain features to gain an advantage.
- Join an alternate timeline universe where the great wars never ended and the world has been in conflict for hundreds of years.