Only one year after their highly #successful KickStarter campaign raised CAD $187,706 for their ambitious retro-styled #scifi #game, Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander, Toronto based Massive Damage is set to launch their game on STEAM Early Access for PC and Mac.
Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander is a strategy RPG with a unique blend of base building, exploration and deep tactical JRPG style combat system with capital starships and their idiosyncratic officers, all captured in stunningly beautiful modernized pixel graphics. In Halcyon 6, an unknown alien force is carving a path of destruction towards Earth and you, as the Commander of an immensely powerful, newly discovered derelict starbase left behind by a precursor alien race, are the best chance for the New Terran Federation to stop the impending invasion.
Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander Features
- Base Building: spend resources to build station facilities (rooms) to enhance your production and technological capabilities, or build ships to help you control more territory.
- Deep Tactical Combat: fight tactical ship or ground battles using a huge array of powers and combos to resolve hostile events, create a foothold in the sector and ultimately defeat the enemy mothership!
- Exploration: assign your fleets to nearby star clusters, where they can handle emerging enemy threats, do missions for alien factions or secure bonus resources.
- Crew Management: assign crew to station facilities to greatly improve their output efficiency, or to ships where they can contribute in unique ways to combat, missions and events.
- Story Events: based on game criteria like rooms-built, alien diplomacy scores or officer traits/skills, the game will produce story events (often with multiple choice outcomes) that can lead to combat, time-related applied bonuses/negatives, officer attribute changes or any number of crazy in-game stories.
- Replayability: Each playthrough has players dealing with a new randomly generated derelict station, surrounding galaxy, crew recruits, and alien factions
“As kids, we all grew up playing these amazing 90s space role-playing and adventure games and we really wanted to bring that sense of mystery, humor, and nostalgia in the way we designed the Halcyon 6 universe, alien cultures and player characters’ interactions.” said Ken Seto, CEO of Massive Damage.
When can we expect to see a Linux release? According to Massive Damage, “the Linux version will be out when the game is fully complete and leaves Early Access.” Which we did mention releasing across all platforms has a greater impact, but for a development studio this can be a support nightmare, particularly in mid-development on Early Access. So for now it looks like we will have to be patient.
Launching on April 21st via STEAM Early Access with Act 1 of 3 for Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander on EarlyAccess, Massive Damage will be issuing frequent updates with bug fixes, balancing tweaks and free additional content in the weeks and months ahead.