OpenMW is a free and open source engine for The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind. It aims to be a fully playable and improved implementation of the game’s engine and functionality.
OpenMW is released under the GNU General Public License version 3, and all source code has been written completely from scratch. It also builds on various other open source tools, most notably OGRE for graphics, and Bullet for collision (and possibly physics).
OpenMW developers are doing great job as the engine is looking more and more polished with every new release and it works quite nicely on Linux. You will need the original game data to play OpenMW. OpenMW runs on Windows, Mac OS X as well.
A new version (0.14) of OpenMW was released recently with many new features and fixes:
- Fix for meshes rendering with the wrong orientation
- Fix for better grabbing of small objects
- Fix to enable toggling of collision rendering
- Updates to be compatible with Ogre 1.8.0 RC1
- Fix for Wireframe mode applying to HUD and Console
- Fix for terrain crashing when moving away from predefined cells
- Fix to allow OS X Launcher to handle spaces in the binary path
- Fix to support TGA textures
- Fix to support wireframe mode in water
- Added water rendering
- Added terrain rendering
- Added ability to render Path Grid
- Added Factions support
- Added Local Map
- Added Compass/Mini-Map
- Added Clothing/Armour redering
- Added Window Pinning
- Added Auto-Equip.
- Added support for containers tracking changes to their contents
- Added several NPC Dialogue Window improvements
- Added backend for a game settings manager
- Added backend for a Spell List and selected spell
- Added backend for NPC holstered/drawn state
- Added a Morrowind.ini Importer (not yet included in the binary packages)
- Refactored the Sound code
- MyGUI updated to version 3.2.0
Check out latest video:
OpenMW can be easily installed on Ubuntu from PPA. Run the commands below:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:openmw/openmw
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install openmw
After installation, run OpenMW Launcher from menu and it will you ask you to specify game data folder. Select the folder and you are ready to go.
Downloads for other Linux distributions can be found here.