The epic 2D #action #adventure Hollow Knight made gaming news upon the release late last month. Hence the #launch and debut on Windows PC, with a promise of a Linux build.
Linux release?? Well according to recent comment in the Discussions, this is indeed the case.
“We’re testing it internally. It’s coming.”
So the Linux release is something that has been on my mind for a while. Since the February 24th release on Steam, Hollow Knight continues to uphold a solid 90% plus Very Positive rating on Steam. Of course, the game has been been developed in Unity, so this latest news would explain the porting. Yet we would have expected to see a Linux build sooner, alas.
What is Hollow Knight?
Lurking beneath the fading town of Dirtmouth is an ancient, forgotten kingdom. While many are drawn beneath the surface, all searching for riches, glory or answers to old secrets. Hence a player takes on the roll of the enigmatic Hollow Knight, traversing the depths, unravelling the mysteries and conquering the evils.
- Explore vast, Inter-connected Worlds
- Encounter a bizarre collection of friends and foes
- Evolve with powerful new skills and abilities
- Evocative Hand-Drawn Art
While gameplay involves players exploring twisting caverns, battling tainted creatures and escaping intricate traps. All while trying to solve an ancient long-hidden mystery.
Hence the world of Hollow Knight is brought to life in vivid, moody detail. The caverns are alive with bizarre and terrifying creatures, each animated by hand in a traditional 2D style.
Every new area players discover is beautiful, unique and strange. Teeming with new creatures and characters to discover. Hence the world of Hollow Knight is worth exploring, both the sights and discovering new wonders off of the beaten path.
- Classic side-scrolling gaming action, with all the modern trimmings.
- Tightly tuned 2D controls. Dodge, dash and slash your way through even the most deadly adversaries.
- Explore a vast interconnected world of forgotten highways, overgrown wilds and ruined cities.
- Forge your own path! The world of Hallownest is expansive and open. Choose which paths you take, which enemies you face and find your own way forward.
- Evolve with powerful new skills and abilities! Gain spells, strength and speed. Leap to new heights on ethereal wings. Dash forward in a blazing flash. Blast foes with fiery Soul!
- Equip Charms! Ancient relics that offer bizarre new powers and abilities. Choose your favourites and make your journey unique!
- An enormous cast of cute and creepy characters all brought to life with traditional 2D frame-by-frame animation.
- Over 140 enemies! 30 epic bosses! Face ferocious beasts and vanquish ancient knights on your quest through the kingdom. Track down every last twisted foe and add them to your Hunter’s Journal!
- Leap into minds with the Dream Nail. Uncover a whole other side to the characters you meet and the enemies you face.
So Hollow Knight is the first release by Team Cherry. Hence the tiny team initially formed during game jams, bonding over their love for Zelda 2. Though they have all worked in gaming in the past, Hollow Knight is the culmination of all things loved in games.
Hollow Knight will make further news, soon. But we highly highly recommend the platformer, which is available now on Steam for $14.99 USD, should you want to invest.