Imagine Earth sci-fi strategy sim to see an alternate support for Linux with Windows PC. Thanks to the continuing efforts of developer Serious Bros. The game itself is already available on Steam, GOG, and Humble Store.
Indie game studio Serious Bros. released the final version of their game Imagine Earth. Complete with a whopping great launch update on Windows PC. This also includes a new trailer to celebrate the release.
Apparently, after 6 years of development, a Linux build is out of the question.
Imagine Earth is based on Unity. We try to not make use of any special hardware and similar, to increase the odds of the game also working on Linux.
June 5, 2021 Update:
We are quite busy checking bugs and feedback these days and will look into the Linux port, once there is some room to breathe.
The studio also points out they, “don’t plan an official Linux support.” However, looking at the Discussions post, it seemed as though Linux was actually in the works back in 2016. But it looks like Proton may be the solution, for now. Which also works much better now for most Linux players. Although I sincerely hope the developers will get time for a Linux build. Seven years is a long time to wait.
Imagine Earth – Launch Trailer
In Imagine Earth, players must protect and nurture a fledgling space colony. All while wrestling against the looming threat of climate change. Supply resources and energy. All while you work to build trade, research new tech, form alliances, and wage economic warfare. Doing so all in a real time battle for viable survival.
Imagine Earth entered Early Access in May 2014. Growing ever since, with updates coming roughly once a month. The final launch update will be one of the biggest to date. While adding in the ‘World Congress’ in free play and endless mode. A democratic loyalty including every faction on the planet. Then coming together by the threat of a climate crisis and environmental collapse.
- Carbon footprint: Earth has been destroyed by an ecological collapse. Will your new home go the same way? Keep your worldwide emissions to a minimum. Or else suffer rising sea levels, freak weather events, and more.
- Boldly Go: Imagine Earth is a real time planet sim. As well as a build-up strategy game. Your job as a space colony manager is to explore distant planets. Build up practical colonies, and trade resources into space.
- Many ways to play: A multi-planet story campaign. A ‘competition’ mode with five enemy factions, ‘endless’ mode with endless procedurally generated challenges. There is also Planet Editor with custom building and terraforming.
- Hold the line: Use tower defense mechanics to protect your colony from invading aliens. This includes foraging space pirates, and swarms of locusts.
- Hostile takeover: Form alliances with other colonies and intergalactic traders. Then trade shares or wage crafty economy type of warfare to secure total profit control for your planet.