Jotun is a hand-drawn #action exploration #game set in #Norsemythology. Players take on the character Thora, a Viking warrior who died an inglorious death and must prove herself to the Gods to enter Valhalla. In Jotun, you explore vast regions of Norse Purgatory to find runes that unleash the jotun, giant Norse elementals. Fight them using only your two-handed axe, your skills and the blessings of the Gods!
Jotun is a very deliberate game. You have two attacks – a simple axe swing and a big overhead chop – and a single dodge roll. Thora also has some weight to her. She doesn’t move very quickly and there’s force behind even her basic attacks. Every move you make is measured and you have to capitalize on holes in the boss’ movements. Rushing or trying to get in an extra hit means the Jotun will punish you.
- Experience beautiful hand-drawn animation
- Fight five epic jotuns, giant Norse elementals
- Explore nine vast and mysterious levels filled with Viking mythology
- Learn about Thora’s life and death in an overarching story
- Summon powers bestowed upon you by the Viking Gods
- Hear authentic Icelandic voice-overs
- Listen to an amazing original soundtrack, specifically composed for every gameplay moment by Max LL
In the summer of 2014, Jotun raised over $64,000 on Kickstarter and was Greenlit in under a week, drawing attention from several important game outlets. Jotun has been selected as one of the best games at PAX East 2015, SXSW Gaming and Gamescom 2015, and has been featured in the planet’s biggest gaming outlets.
After quitting his job in January 2014, Will Dubé and friends brought Jotun to Kickstarter in July of the same year. The success of the Kickstarter campaign consolidated the team and the vision and allowed us to get additionnal funding from the Canadian Media Fund and the Montreal Inc Foundation.
Jotun will be has released on on Steam for Linux, Mac and Windows PC, priced at $14.99 USD but with a 10% discount only offered until October 6th.