[gigya height=”360″ src=”https://d3mlfyygrfdi2i.cloudfront.net/321f/kickplayer.swf?” flashvars=”allowfullscreen=true&autostart=false&backcolor=000000&controlbar=over&file=https%3A%2F%2Fd2pq0u4uni88oo.cloudfront.net%2Fprojects%2F691008%2Fvideo-347802-h264_high.mp4&image=https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fksr%2Fprojects%2F691008%2Fphoto-full.jpg&project_creators=A+Video+Games+project+by+Platinum+Arts&project_title=Platinum+Arts+Sandbox+Game+Maker+Commercial+Edition&project_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.kickstarter.com%2Fprojects%2F1735741561%2Fplatinum-arts-sandbox-game-maker-commercial-editio&screencolor=000000&skin=https%3A%2F%2Fd3mlfyygrfdi2i.cloudfront.net%2Fcc3a%2Fkickskin.swf&wmode=opaque” width=”480″ ]
Platinum Arts Sandbox Game Maker is an easy to use Game Maker featuring #ingame and #coop #editing, and it is based on the Cube 2 Engine. Now Kickstarter and Steam Greenlight Projects have been launched to greatly accelerate and increase the features in the engine.
The cost for the commercial version of Sandbox is incredibly low considering what you get. Many other game makers seem inexpensive or free but if you read the fine print the cost is easily in the thousands! The Sandbox Game Maker mindset is to keep the software inexpensive yet accessible, but cost enough so that a top quality team can add features and content. The goal here is to create a tool that people can use to express their imaginations!
We are a bunch of Game Designers who love to help others! Also the better the commercial version does, the more features we can add to the free version!
Platinum Arts Sandbox Game Maker also features dynamic lighting, crossplatform support, advanced networking, with the goal of adding visual scripting and many more features. Users will be able to rapidly create games of many different genres and require little to no prior coding experience.
- Merging everything into one easily moddable codebase with significantly cleaned up code that is easy to navigate. A lot of the code will be switched over to the new scripting language to make it much easier and quicker to modify.
- Anglescript scripting language to make it to easily modify movement, weapons, NPCs, dialogue, quests, add and create monsters, vehicles, and an inventory eventually for RPG games
- Significantly Improved graphics engine and real time lighting (thanks to Eihrul!)
- Incredibly easy to use in game level editing where environments and whole worlds can quickly be created before your eyes! Also levels can be edited cooperatively with friends/teams/etc!
- Bullet Physics
- UI Improvements including more professional looking, widgets, workflow optimization
- Camera easily adjusted (easy to switch to 3rd person, 1st person, isometric, top down, etc)
- Improve movie recording ease of use
- Updated Particle Editor and System including improved weather system
- Train-path entities and camera linkable to it
- Triggers – (once, multiple, etc)
- Improved AI and ability to add monsters/creatures/NPCs and create different monster types/sets through script
- Improved Foliage system including multiple grass heights and possibly a speed tree type system
- Easily set up to create a ” video game” format vs editing format so people can’t edit/change a released video game (easily remove edit mode, set up launcher to go into the game, even just good instructions would help)
- Better model collisions
- Improved texture managing. Easier to import textures and in game texture editor/modifier. Also easier to use blendmaps/texture painting
- Around 1000+ exclusive textures
- Many models will be added that can be used commercially
- All content can be used commercially
- Constantly updated and improved on beyond the Kickstarter listed features at NO CHARGE. This includes neat upstream updates from the Cube 2 engine!
Possible Mode Features (added through script files):
- Vehicle mode (including ability to make planes)
- Hide and Seek
- Digging and building
- Random terrain generator
- Parkour Doublejump/wall jump
- Customizable waves for wavemode /dmsp
- Ease of use for setup
- Client syncing for coop edit (all textures and models)*
- Server admin tools (permissions, editing boundaries)*
- Make go-to more noticable and perhaps set a “home” waypoint to teleport*
- Forced getmap/sendmap/serverside*
- Heightmap editing on servers*
To take Sandbox to the next level Sandbox Game Maker developers really need to be able to pay talent. Volunteers have been awesome but to get things where they need to be the developers want to hire a full-time team. Also submitting Sandbox on Steam Greenlight, so a successful Kickstarter will help get that income source flowing, continue to pay the team, and add more members throughout the years! The Kickstarter success means more free content, updates, and features! Helping them helps you and together we can help everyone all over the world have a much easier way to express their imaginations!
Sandbox is available for Windows, Linux and Mac and is based on the Cube 2 Engine.
About Michael Tomaino: Originally the Project started in 2007 for the children in his before and after school program (K-5) to create more than just 2D art on computers. Allowing them the ability to create worlds, emersive stories, unleash their imaginations, and explore their own creation.
Soon after releasing Sandbox Game Maker online, the project took off and now the development environment is being used worldwide. So the free and open source side of the project will always keep its free and open source committment.
But to help fund further development, create new features, the team want to add far more content. So they deciding on Kickstarter and Steam Greenlight to help fund a commercial release. This version would be too graphically intensive for schools but they are hoping to port a lot of the core features to benefit the success of a commercial version.
The open source free version of Platinum Arts Sandbox is available at SandboxGameMaker.com