Need to Know is an adventure sim for Linux, Mac and Windows coming this month. Where players get involved in surveillance and determine who is dangerous. The games also releasing on August 28th, 2018.
Welcome to the Department of Liberty. While here you must spy on citizens, pick apart their private lives. And also determine how dangerous they are. You can resist these suffocating privacy invasions by aiding underground groups. Or leaking internal reports to the media.
You can also just use all of that juicy classified information for your own, personal gain. in Need to Know it’s completely your call.
Need to Know Surveillance Sim Thriller (Linux, Mac, Windows)
- Clearance Levels – Everything hinges upon your Clearance Level. Impress your superiors, and they will promote you to a higher level, unlocking cooler (and creepier) powers, classified information, and prestige.
- Surveillance – Early Clearance Levels only allow you access to a target’s metadata or browsing history. As you progress, you bore deeper into their lives, with geo-tracking, shopping patterns, and even drone surveillance.
- Individual targets – Your Department database is full of citizens’ profiles. This also includes colourful biographies, human flaws, and realistic dilemmas.
- Executive powers – As you ascend the ranks, you are forced to make increasingly unsettling decisions. Will you fuel your rise to power with searches, wiretaps, smear campaigns and abductions? Or will you covertly undermine the Department from the inside?
- Personal life – Choose whether to use intel and powers outside of work, whether to help others, for financial gain (not, strictly speaking, legal), or even in romantic encounters (not, strictly speaking, moral).
Story and choices:
- Chapter-based storytelling – We intertwine gameplay with story structure, for satisfying payoffs, real character progression, and to eliminate grinding.
- Meaningful moral choices – No morality meter, and no ‘Good/Evil’ decision moments. Instead, actions cause in-game consequences that actually matter. Your choices can lead to bombings, false arrests, corrupt bankers escaping prosecution or even (gasp) your own demotion.
- Classified data – Each new Clearance Level exposes classified data, much of which will help you with assignments, and in your crusade against (or for) the Department.
- Assets & Prestige – As your salary grows, impress and intimidate peers with new homes, cars, suits, and more. In too many games, you rise to the peak of every possible rank/guild/achievement metric, yet even the lowest peons still treat you like a nobody. Not here.
Need to Know emphasises story. So this will sculpt the crushing growth of our real-world surveillance society into a meaningful, gripping journey. This also critiques the system by passing the uncomfortable (or too comfortable?). Giving you the mantle of power on your shoulders. While testing which choices you’ll make.
So players will laugh, cry, or simply sweat bullets. Since everyone is under the searing blaze of an interrogation lamp. This is an incredibly sophisticated game that requires a high level of skill to master.