Northgard new free content releases in new free content update Ragnarok for Linux, Mac and Windows. The hit Viking strategy game from French independent studio Shiro Games, received its most expansive free update.
This update also releases a host of new content. Such as a cataclysmic themed map. Featuring new tiles and events. A new neutral faction. And the addition of a new gameplay mechanic, the Military Paths.
Inspired by the end of the world as described in Norse mythology. Ragnarok brings new features and mechanics. Drastically change the way players approach the game on Linux, Mac and Windows.
New Free Content Features:
- New Ragnarok map: promising to be a testing challenge. For beginners and veterans alike. Since this cataclysmic themed map comes with new tiles and events. Explaining the devastating results of the end times. No rich land remains and farming is now impossible. While prospective clan leaders having to plan carefully. If they want to survive. And also stand victorious on this demanding new map.
- New Volcano tile: occupying the centre of the map. The Volcano will violently erupt at random times. Throwing massive boulders across the map. They are both a blessing and a curse. As each rock crashing in a clan’s territory. Being mined for valuable resources during four months. If players fail to do so. Each stone left unchecked will turn into a powerful and extremely aggressive Rock Golem.
- Ancient Graveyard tile: home to the souls of fallen Viking warriors. These solid grounds could be colonized and studied. Also resulting in the recruitment of Spectral Warriors. Since they boast very high defence.
While such supernatural allies could prove useful. Vikings are highly superstitious and the clan will suffer a happiness penalty. As long as these ghostly beings remain in the player’s territory.
Northgard Ragnarok – Trailer (Linux, Mac, Windows)
- Fallen Sailors event: as the apocalypse draws near. The countless souls of the Fallen Sailors drown during the long journey to Northgard. All eager to return to the world of the living. This event can occur at any moment. And will see a wave of Spectral Warriors invade. Haunting the players’ shores, attacking any Viking in sight.
- The Myrkalfars: a new neutral faction of Northgard. These dark elves are particularly aggressive. And will raid random clans every year. Stealing their resources over time. To be avid by future raids. Players can choose to trade with and befriend the Myrkalfar. Making a good amount of Krowns in the process. Cooperation is not the only way. However, and, while it may prove challenging, any clan able to raze the dark elves’ camp will be able to recover some of the stolen resources.
- The Military Paths: defeating enemies or losing a unit now grants players experience points. Which they can spend to pick one of the three Military Paths available. The Tactician, the Guardian, and the Conqueror. Each path features three unlockable skills providing a variety of powerful improvements to the player’s army and allowing further specialisation.
Further details can be found in the latest patch notes.
“We are very happy to see Northgard grow and be able to offer our most expansive update since the game’s launch for free,” declares Sebastien Vidal, CEO and co-founder at Shiro Games. “We still have a lot of cool ideas in store, and our community can expect more content updates in the upcoming months.”
Northgard original release on Steam Early Access was back on February 22nd, 2017. Quickly becaming one of the most popular strategy games on the platform, selling over 800,000 copies. Officially launching out of Early Access on March 7th, 2018. And holds a high rating on PC games for 2018 so far, with a Metascore of 80.