Overload the six-degree-of-freedom first person shooter has a release date for Linux, Mac and Windows. The games studio
Revival Productions announces the news.
Since their tunnel shooter, from the original creators of the critically-acclaimed 90’s classic Descent. The official launch will be available for Linux, Mac and Windows. While releasing on May 31, 2018 for $34.99 USD via Steam and GOG.
Revival Productions was founded by Matt Toschlog and Mike Kulas. Also the co-founders of legendary Parallax Software. Revival has are the creators of Overload. A FPS that combines the best of classic 6-DOF gameplay found in Descent. Which includes the latest in today’s technology for intense 3D action. Which is also what of my personal favourite shooters.
“We started Overload as a nostalgic homage to Descent. While it’s really grown into something more. We were able to create a deep story with voice. A new challenge mode and add VR support. All this is on top of graphics and sound we could only dream about 20 years ago,” said Mike Kulas, co-creator, Revival Productions.
Matt Toschlog also adds, “It’s been a blast creating this game. We especially value the relationships we form with our Kickstarter backers and Early Access players.”
Descent developed by Parallax Software and published by Interplay in 1995. Also receiving critical acclaim for its 3D six-degree-of-freedom gameplay. While combining the best of space flight simulation with FPS experience.
Overload offers a Descent-like style of play. But also brings the labyrinthine environments to new and vibrant life. While this means an update in features. But deeper gameplay and dramatically enhanced graphics.
Overload is currently available in Early Access on Steam and also includes a user rating of 97%.
While gameplay works really well with a Steam Controller on Linux. This is a must-have, well at least as long as you can survive. Enemies can get a jump on you. So players will have to be able to react quickly.
Overload Release Date Trailer (Linux, Mac, Windows)
- 15 level single-player campaign plus secret levels
- Numerous level challenges including lava, forcefields, lockdowns, ambushes and secret rooms
- 20 terrifying robot enemies, plus Super-Robots and Variants and three bosses
- Multiplayer with public and private matches
- Challenge mode (with two variants) and 12 Challenge Mode levels. Story by the writer of FreeSpace 2 with fully-voiced audio (English Only)
- Adrenaline-pumping soundtrack
- Optional training level for refining your piloting skills
- Achievements and Leaderboards
- Upgrades and XP system and advanced player stats
- Automap and Holo-guide for navigation assistance
- Save anywhere
- Six difficulty levels ranging from a casual challenge to very punishing
- Support for mouse, keyboard, gamepad and/or joystick controls
- Surround sound audio options
- Virtual reality support for Oculus and Vive
- Interface and Subtitle Available in: English, French, German, Spanish and Russian
- Post launch: Release of Level Editor. Since this means support for user-created levels and campaigns
Since a “playable teaser” of Overload is available for free on Steam for Linux, Mac and Windows. Definitely check this out.
Steam launch and release date:
Overload is available on Steam Early Access for $24.99 USD right now. Also very playable on Linux, Mac and Windows.