[gigya height=”360″ src=”https://www.kickstarter.com/swf/kickplayer.swf?” flashvars=”allowfullscreen=true&autostart=false&backcolor=000000&controlbar=over&file=http%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fksr%2Fprojects%2F289461%2Fvideo-161174-h264_high.mp4&image=http%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fksr%2Fprojects%2F289461%2Fphoto-full.jpg&screencolor=000000&skin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kickstarter.com%2Fswf%2Fkickskin.swf&wmode=opaque” width=”480″ ]
Having just come across some interesting news. A unique crowdfunding campaign has emerged, Project Eternity, by Obsidian Entertainment on Kickstarter.
What may be interesting, or even epic up to now, Project Eternity hit $1.1 million in just over 24 hours. Having recently posted some rather interesting stretch goals to keep up with the rapid pledge rate.
However, the main purpose of Project Eternity aims to recapture the magic, imagination, depth, and nostalgia of classic RPGs (Icewind Dale, Baldurs Gate) both in making – and playing. At Obsidian, they are the people responsible for many of those classic games and want to bring those games back… but need your help!
But what does all this mean for Linux?
A new Region, a new Faction and another new Companion!
Also, the world of Project Eternity grows in a major way with the inclusion of a whole new faction and the territory it holds. This adds new NPCs, quests, magic items, and hours of gameplay. And yes, you got it, another companion.
Yes, just like that!!!
The Stretch Goal process goes as follows:
- $1.4 million, New Playable Race, Class, and Companion! Expands your options for character creation and adds a companion of the new class.
- $1.6 million, a Mac Version of Project Eternity and The Story Grows! We’ve listened and we’ll make a Mac version of the game at this tier. We’re also going to add a new major storyline along with new quests, locations, NPCs, and unique loot (special histories everyone?).
- $1.8 million, New Playable Race, Class, and Companion! The options grow for your main character and the roster of your motley crew expands with the addition of a new companion from the selected class.
- $2.0 million, Player House! Get your own house in the game that you can customize, store equipment in, and where your companions hang out, or, as the elves say, “chillax”.
- $2.2 million, a new Region, a new Faction and another new Companion! And, dare we say it… ? LINUX! Great news, everyone! For the Tarball Knights of Gzippia out there, we’ll be adding Linux support! Also, the world of Project Eternity grows in a major way with the inclusion of a whole new faction and the territory it holds. This adds new NPCs, quests, magic items, and hours of gameplay. And yes, you got it, another companion.
Further Additional Information:
- DRM Free: We are looking into it! Please check back for updates.
- Digital Only Tiers are coming!
- PayPal is coming asap. Please be patient!
- New $5k Tier. We are looking into a new $5k tier since it sold out so quickly! We are looking into equivalent alternatives.
The Linux Game News Motivational Speech
The way the Kickstarter campaign is going, the project is just shy of $1.4 million at the time of this post. Further backers and the drive to make a native client happen is certainly a step in the right direction.
If there is any one company I am keen to see take the lead towards Linux support, it is Obsidian Entertainment.
Those who are fans of the following games, I encourage your support. 😀