Ruin of the Reckless is making gaming news. The 2D action roguelike just launched this week. Hence developer Faux-Operative Games have created the title with fast-paced melee combat, speedy movement and co-operative #gameplay. Yes since the launch on Steam and Itch, the game has been quietly capture interest of more players. With it’s 16-bit classics, Ruin of the Reckless up’s the pace, adding more challenge and random aspects. All while being able to play in only works locally (in couch mode) but not online.
Now it seems like Faux-Operative will be working on a debut for Linux and Mac debut:
“After doing a bit more research, a Linux version will probably actually be easier to get up and running than a mac version will be.
In all likelihood, assuming that there is interest (which there certainly seems to be…) We will be pushing Linux and Mac versions in the future. However, before we can do that we feel it is very important to make sure all of our Windows users are having a good, error-free experience.
We will certainly keep the community updated on our progress towards that goal!”
Ruin of the Reckless comes with a light progression element and a challenging difficulty curve. So players choose between Stargrove or Stella, fighting their way through a mysterious randomly generated tower. While exploring the setting within this twin stick brawler gameplay. Allowing players to experiment with attacks and unleash screen clearing spells in gaming.
Since Ruin of the Reckless truly is a very highly replayable and challenging game. We have seen nothing but positive news from gamers, steamers, youtubers willing to take on such gameplay.
Ruin of the Reckless (Windows, no Linux or Mac support)
- Explore a detailed, mysterious, randomly-generated tower that changes with each ascent. Discover its purpose and see your one true wish granted… If you get that far, that is…
- Bring your friends for co-op fast-paced fun, either as Stargrove or Stella. Each with a unique wish and corresponding ending.
- Speed through the environment at lightning pace, crush giant hordes of enemies in melee-focused combat. Upgrade your weapons, find new equipment, level up, brave the challenge of The Tower.
- Accessible and easy to pick up and play. But the higher you climb the tower, the harder it gets.
- Mix and match different ‘ability orbs’ as you level up. Save slots for later orbs, but don’t be too careful. Fortune favors the reckless!
- Music by Slime Girls and Protodome
So Ruin of the Reckless started development in 2014 by game designers Charles Webb and Daniel Crockenberg. While the idea was simple, create a co-op roguelike that is fast-paced and more dangerous. Coming with a zelda inspired progression system allowing players to increase the scope of their abilities. Instead of powering them up, while BOTH players can play as full out characters.
Faux-Operative Games successfully raised over $17,000 on Kickstarter back on September 20th 2016. Since then, rolling out successive beta builds with the full game releasing on April 26th 2017.
So originally the news of a possible Linux port caught our attention. Since the Ruin of the Reckless is developed using GameMaker Studio, it’s not surprise that the developers see the advantage of Linux and Mac gaming. Hence giving the title full life across all platforms.
If you’re interested in playing now, Ruin of the Reckless can run in Wine. Plus a 15% discount until May 3rd on both Steam and Itch.