Shovel Knight sales statistics release with over 1 million copies sold on Linux, Mac and Windows. Thanks to the games developer Yacht Club Games. Who just revealed its 2D platformer sales.
Shovel Knight has sold over 1.2 million copies. Across Linux, Mac, Windows PC. As well as PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, 3DS, Vita. And even Amazon Fire TV. Which is indeed impressive for a small indie studio..
We’re still in a bit of shock here! Previously, a successful game in our portfolio would barely break 50k copies sold. Want to know the platform breakdown? We have the sales statistics.
Before you save the graph above for your next platform vs platform discussion, there’s a few key items that are worth keeping in mind:
Our Sony and Microsoft versions did not come out until April 2015. So 9 months after our initial launch on PC. And the release for Nintendo systems.
The Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, and Sony PS4. Are also naturally higher in sales for Shovel Knight. Since they received full retail releases in October 2015. Every platform except Sony’s systems have gone on sale during some major holidays, but none of them have ever been sold for more than a 33% discount.
Shovel Knight sales statistics
Keeping our game at full price has been a major part of our strategy as we believe players will be more invested in the game and therefore hopefully, enjoy it more if it isn’t bought at a bargain bin price. Although Amazon Fire TV does not have enough sales to appear on the graph, it’s a bit tricky to measure because Shovel Knight was packed in with 50,000 consoles, and those sales are not accounted for in the graph.
The Amazon Fire TV also released in September of 2015 – which is rather late when compared to everything else and a tall order to catch up to. Also of note, we have still not released the game in Asian territories. We plan to release in Japan in June on Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U.
Steam is our best seller for Shovel Knight. But it’s also benefited the most from discounted sales. In an average month, Nintendo 3DS almost sells twice as much as Steam.
Steam User Stats
Here are some fun game stats based on our Steam users:
- Our most unlocked achievement is First Purchase, which 85% of people have done. We’re not sure how much Goatician makes from each Meal Ticket sold, but we wish him well in his entrepreneurial pursuits.
- 32% of people have gotten the Victory Achievement, meaning they completed the game as Shovel Knight. 2% of players have gone on to complete New Game +.
- 5% of our Steam PC players were determined to be playing on Mac, with 1% determined to be on Linux.
- 345,000 people have Shovel Knight in their Steam wishlist. 102,000 people have removed Shovel Knight from their wishlist and 131,000 people have picked up Shovel Knight after having it on their wishlist!
- Median playtime is 5 hours and 23 minutes. Average playtime is 8 hours and 3 minutes.
Overall these are some impressive statistics. Even moreso to see how Steam and the Nintendo 3DS are about the same as sales go. Naturally Linux slides into the mix with that decadent 1% and Mac at 5%. And there are still a ton of further details and breakdown of sales, which is well worth having a look at. Check out the full breakdown of Shovel Knight sales for yourself.