Squadron 51 shoot ‘em up alien annihilation looms on Kickstarter for Windows PC but holding out for Linux gaming. Thanks to developer Loomiarts. Having just released their crowdfunding campaign that is 30% funded.
Prepare your battle stations, alien annihilation is on the horizon. The very first title is a result of the intergalactic alliance: Squadron 51. Due to raising $28,000 USD by February 11th, 2021. Currently, already 30% funded on Kickstarter. A new dimension bending shoot ‘em up that features 2D action. Offering both singleplayer and shared split screen co-op gameplay. While taking place in a world of deep 3D settings.
Squadron 51 is taking direct inspiration from 1950s sci-fi icons. Due to movies like War of the Worlds, Godzilla, and Dr. Strangelove. Since Squadron 51 is due to launch its attack with Windows PC on Steam later this year. But the developers are also keeping Linux gaming on their wing.
…we aren’t able to port the game to Linux, but it is not discarded.
….so the game may be ported soon after the launch.
This is not a ‘no’ of course. But the sneaky bit of detail here, “it may depend on how much we will collect in our Kickstarter campaign.” So if you have an interest in the Kickstarter campaign. The developers are a small team, they are trying to qualify further platforms. As a result, they cannot guarantee Linux support, yet. But Unreal Engine 4 is being used for development. And there is already interest to expand platform support.
Squadron 51 lets you join the rebel cause as Lieutenant Kaya. As you face the hostile alien aircraft, martian fighters, and monsters. All in this glorious black and white style of the 1950s! The future of the Earth is in the hands of the player. Check out the trailer below. Where gameplay poses an almost Cuphead type of vibe.
Squadron 51 | Announcement Trailer
Aliens from outer space have arrived on our planet. While bringing promises of a bright new future for the earthlings. However, this worldly partnership soon reveals a darker side. Since the VEGA Corporation, the alien enterprise led by the hideous Director Zarog, is imposing its predatory politics on the human race. In the midst of this misery, the rebel group Squadron 51 rises. Due to offer a response against the violent acts committed by these vile beings. Will the brave pilots stand a chance against Zarog’s evil fleet of flying saucers?
- SHMUP Yeah!: Enjoy classic shoot ’em up gameplay. Along with four unique aircraft that can be customized with special weapons
- Cinematic Experience: Fantastic black and white aesthetics, live action FMV sequences, and dubbed voices . Telling the story of the battle between Squadron 51 and Director Zarog’s alien fleet
- 11 Ways to Save the World: Fight against enemy ships and bosses in 11 different environments. Such as snowy mountains, forests, cityscapes, and more
- Rookie Pilots Supported: Whether you’re a beginner or a veteran flying ace. Squadron 51 supports dynamic difficulty that allows every pilot to enjoy the alien genocide
- Ducks Fly Together!: Fighting an alien horde is more fun with a squadmate! A second player can enter a level at any time. So you can earn points with a co-op player. Then together you can unlock new special weapons and upgrades