Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones is a new horror CRPG with a release date for Linux, Mac and Windows PC. Thanks the creative development of Cultic Games. The games creeping it’s way onto Steam this fall.
The town of Arkham. Unspeakable horrors from beyond the veil. So open your mind to Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones. Coming to both Steam and Humble Store. With support for Linux, Mac and Windows PC.
So we decided to welcome you to a cosmic horror CRPG. This is thanks to the games successful Kickstarter funding campaign. Which expecting to wrap its tentacles around gamers on September 26th.
While drawing directly from the works of H.P. Lovecraft. Employing a gorgeous grotesque hand drawn visual style. But still a turn based RPG at it’s heart. All taking place in a broken and mysterious world.
Step into the 1920’s as you create your own character. While following one of eight different archetypes. Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones pulls from the pages of cosmic horror history. All the way back from the academic to the occultist. Each with their own unique attributes, skills and belief systems.
These belief systems in particular also determine how your character copes. Both in a warped reality of the world around them.
So that this, like the classic CRPG titles coming before it. Also provides players with an open ended narrative to unearth. While you attempt to find sense in the mysterious otherworldly happenings. And those that have befallen the town of Arkham.
Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones – Release Date Trailer (Linux, Mac, Windows PC)
Faithful to its mind rending subject matter. The combat in Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones is understandably tense. While featuring strategic, turn-based combat in a 2D view. So that players will come face to face with everything. This ranges from fanatic cultists, to monstrosities. So horrifying that we’ve been instructed not to describe them out of safety.
Balancing physical combat that’s uncertain at best. All against creatures from beyond. With powerful eldritch spellcasting that has dire consequences on one’s mind. So that combat in Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones matches the cosmic horror experience.
- A hand drawn 2D world reflecting Lovecraft’s themes. Both of cosmic horror and dread.
- Enemies, environments and storylines. All inspired by Lovecraft’s iconic original works. Take part in quests inspired by your favorite stories. While you see them play out according to your own decisions and role playing style.
- Choose from 8 main character Archetypes. Each with its own origin back story and specialties.
- A host of weird companions to accompany you on your journey. The lonely, antediluvian ‘Outsider’. A fallen soldier of the Great War reanimated by Herbert West. Recruit these and other outlandish beings to your crew.
- Your character’s Sanity and mental state also influences their dialogue options. While offering both advantages and barriers. Sometimes it pays to be mad in a world gone mad!
- Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones Belief System determines how your characters cope. While facing warped reality of the new Arkham. As well as the rate at which they regenerate lost Sanity. Belief Systems also offer unique dialogue options. Expanding the breadth of role playing possibility.
- A new kind of spell system. Wwhich sometimes takes more than it gives. Being a master of the occult is not as simple as flinging colored missiles from your fingertips. The black magic of Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones is potent. But may also cost you your mind and your health. And possibly even more.
- Strategic, turn based combat from a 2D perspective. Similar to the classic Heroes of Might and Magic games.