Minetest is a free open-source game inspired by Minecraft, expressing an infinite-world gaming experience where the actor is to shape the environment.
Among its features, Minetest comes with modding support, good-looking and fast map generator, as well as complex worlds and multiple available actions.
Minetest has been updated to another interesting release, 0.4.7, introducing:
- new elements (snow, snow blocks, ice and dirt)
- sandstone bricks and desert stone bricks
- added coal block
- new farming mod (wheat can be used to bake bread)
- copper blocks
- new animations (while changing wielded items)
- refreshed textures for sand, desert sand and desert stone
- new textures for metals and diamond blocks
- numerous bug fixes (fixed black trees, fixed import of older maps, reduced video-memory consumption, etc)
- several modding-related enhancements
How do we install Minetest 0.4.7? Add the following official PPA for Ubuntu based distro’s (Precise, Quantal, Raring)
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:minetestdevs/stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install minetestc55
Downloads for other Linux distributions (Debian, Fedora, openSUSE, Arch Linux, Puppy Linux, and Foresight Linux) can be found here.