[kickstarter url=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eforb/skies-mmorpg width=”480″]
Ukrainian game developer Eforb Games has #announced the development of its #postapocalyptic free-to-play MMORPG, The Skies, for Windows PC and Mac. Inspired by the science-fiction novel Skies, the #game is described as an MMORPG, but not in the traditional sense of the word. Players will complete a non-linear storyline, creating their own “game reality” and choose their own role within it.
Linux Game News just confirmed The Skies will be coming to Linux as well. “…Yes, sure we are going to support Linux. Our game is on unity.”
In The Skies, players will travel through a real-time 3D world in a first-person perspective, with eight square kilometers of land to start (four locations, each with two square kilometers of land). The land is full of cities and secret locations to explore, and players will do so as they complete quests, collect and trade resources and more. The land features major overall areas, like the mountainous areas of the West and the desert of the East, with metropolitan areas in the North and South. The SkiesThe dialog system here is based on the intellectual abilities of each character. If a character lacks in this area, they may not have access to certain dialog options. In addition, the way players treat others has an impact on their reputation. Saying negative things or having an overall negative attitude may make it harder for people to trust the player, for instance.
- Huge gameworld – 8 square kilometers at start. It is full of mystery places. Post apocalyptic atmosphere achieved with the help of amazing art, 3D models and animations won’t leave cold anybody.
- A complicated multi-level economic system which entirely depends on players’ actions. In this world production and profit-making is totally different from the threadbare games players are used to, these systems are more convenient for a player and at the same time they make the game world richer and more captivating. Do you want to get resources or produce materials? Manage your own business or work at the factory? You can start your own production, hire people and manage them, hand out wages. You’re free to do anything you like.
- Expanded interesting dialogues based on the game role system and non-linear storyline. If your character’s intellectual abilities are not well-developed, some options will be unavailable for you. So you character should watch his actions and words to maintain a positive attitude with other characters. If you have a bad reputation, people won’t trust you.
- PVP and TVT combats. Post-apocalyptic world can be really dangerous. Wanna improve your fighting abilities? You can take part in group fighting (team vs team) or fight player vs player in special locations.
- Clan wars. Wanna dominate in the SKIES world? Take part in the clan wars to win and build your own government on the ruins of post-apocalyptic place.
- The book – breathtaking novel and solid background for creators of the game. The idea of a universe where people will be facing almost real-time problems, belongs to the project lead Anton Paramonov.
The Skies will offer both player-vs-player and team-vs-team cooperative battles, as well as clan wars, which see groups building their own governments within the ruined world. Meanwhile, the game’s multi-level economic system will see users given multiple options for making a profit. Users can create their own businesses, hiring workers and managing their wages, or work at a factory themselves, as examples. As the developer puts it, players are “free to do anything [they] like.”
You can also vote for The Skies on Steam Greenlight.
Eforb Games has launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund the game’s development for a release in Q2 2015. The core funding will be used to develop the title for Linux, Mac and Windows PC, while stretch goals are assigned to expanding the universe, including support for mobile and console releases. By backing the game, users can receive timed upgrades to premium in-game accounts, bonuses on in-game money and more. The crowdfunding campaign has a goal of $350,000, and will end on December 23.