[gigya height=”360″ src=”https://www.kickstarter.com/swf/kickplayer.swf?” flashvars=”allowfullscreen=true&autostart=false&backcolor=000000&controlbar=over&file=https%3A%2F%2Fd2pq0u4uni88oo.cloudfront.net%2Fprojects%2F552735%2Fvideo-243094-h264_high.mp4&image=https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fksr%2Fprojects%2F552735%2Fphoto-full.jpg&project_creators=A+Video+Games+project+by+Stompy+Bot+Productions&project_title=Heavy+Gear+Assault&project_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kickstarter.com%2Fprojects%2Fstompybot%2Fheavy-gear-assault-0&screencolor=000000&skin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kickstarter.com%2Fswf%2Fkickskin.swf&wmode=opaque” width=”480″ ]
Heavy Gear Assault, a game developed Stompy Bot Productions on the Unreal 4 engine, will arrive on Linux, if they manage to raise enough money on Kickstarter.
Besides the details about this interesting game developed with the old Heavy Gear titles in mind, another piece of information has a lot more weight.
Unreal 4 is the next-generation engine developed by Epic Game and if Unreal Engine 3 is anything to go by, the next installment will be a huge hit.
The world of Heavy Gear Assault is unforgiving – but so is your lust for glory. A pilot on the distant planet Terra Nova, you play the high-stakes game of competitive Gear Dueling. You earn fame and fortune by making a name for yourself on the arena floor. You stand out from the crowd by customizing the look and style of your Gear. You manage corporate sponsors, hire a support staff and fine-tune your Gear’s performance in the Gear Bay. You rise to the top, claim your position – and with every cannon shell left in your magazines, you refuse to let go.
Heavy Gear and Heavy Gear 2 by Activision were state-of-the-art and pushed the envelope of what was possible in the late 1990s. Both games paid tribute to the acclaimed and award-winning science-fiction Heavy Gear Universe, created by Dream Pod 9.
Built today with the technology of tomorrow, Heavy Gear Assault promises to raise the bar yet again, with features that include:
- E-SPORTS — Compete in tournaments and organized matches for fame and fortune. Spectate and sponsor other players. Vote on performances. Put bounties on poor sports and pay their enemies to take them out.
- DYNAMIC COMBAT — Rip apart the arena with fully destructible terrain. Blow an opponents limb off and use their weapon against them. Pull the trigger at range or melee up close. Play as your pilot and move freely in and out of Gears.
- CUSTOMIZATION — Stealth or armor? Guns or melee? The choice is yours. Customize your weapons or powerplant, sensors or CPU. Fine-tune your performance, and hire a support staff to keep your Gear in the fight.
- SOCIAL INTERACTION — Create a profile and cultivate your fan base. Stream your matches and highlights to your favorite social media site. Rate players and spectators on their sportsmanship, teamwork, cooperation and style.
- FREE-TO-CHOOSE — Choose your level of involvement to pay and play how you want. Play entirely for free or pay for premium membership that doesn’t break the balance of the game. The free-to-play model has evolved.
- UNREAL ENGINE 4 — Battle for dominance in photo-realistically beautiful arenas. Enjoy performance that scales to high- and low-spec PCs. Watch fully destructible environments and Gears rip apart, changing the shape of the fight.
How do the developers of Heavy Gear Assault feel about Linux support? Their response has raised quite a few eyebrows.
“UE3 actually did support Linux but not many licensees took advantage of that. UE4 will support OpenGL and we plan to take full advantage of that with HGA!” said a Stompy Bot Productions representative.
If this information turns out to be true, Linux could finally become a more gaming focused platform in the future.