Egosoft recently release a new patch for X Rebirth, the #openworld space #exploration #game is now up to version 3.5. The studio made all X Universe games, including Rebirth, free on Steam for the weekend, launching the public alpha test of the Linux version of Rebirth through Steamplay.
To enable the game on Linux/SteamOS, select the beta branch “linux”. For details, known issues and technical support see the Linux support thread in the Egosoft forum.
The 3.5 update adds new generic and upkeep missions intended to simplify station management, new Onil mining ships, a “container magnet” that attracts nearby collectibles to the player’s ship, easier navigation through a text search field on maps, and new FXAA graphics options.
New features include:
- New generic missions and new upkeep missions for easier station management.
- New ships: The new Onil mining ships available in the Canteran shipyard in DeVries.
- New “Container Magnet” which helps to attract nearby collectables to the player ship.
- Easier navigation through text search field in map.
- New FXAA graphics option.
And among other improvements in 3.50:
- Improved station manager and station owned ship trade behavior.
- Improved balancing and accuracy of combat calculations when player is not present.
- Improved response of player owned stations to nearby player ships being attacked.
- Completely reworked Russian localization.
- Improved support for UI-modding and much more…
The free weekend has already begun and runs through to the 15th, including everything from X: Beyond the Frontier to X Rebirth. It’s a good opportunity to see how Rebirth is doing. Make sure to check out all the further details in the Linux alpha support thread.