XCOM 2 tactical turn-based strategy out now for Linux, Mac and Windows PC
Feral Interactive today announced that the #highly #anticipated turn-based strategy #game XCOM 2 is out now for Linux and Mac, available for purchase via Steam with a 91 Metacritic rating already. Developed by Firaxis Games and published by 2K for Windows PC, XCOM 2 is the sequel to the hugely popular XCOM: Enemy Unknown.
XCOM 2 takes place 20 years after the events of XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Humanity lost the war against the extra-terrestrial forces and the aliens have established a new world order, promising a brilliant future for all.
However, beneath the surface lies a sinister agenda to eliminate all who dissent from their rule. The paramilitary organization known as XCOM is scattered and largely forgotten, and must strike back to reclaim control of Earth and free humanity from alien rule. In XCOM 2, players must recruit, train and equip a team of resistance soldiers, then engage the alien forces in epic turn-based battles. Not only will XCOM fight against the alien army, but will also face ADVENT, a group of soldiers who make up the aliens’ own personal police force.
XCOM 2 introduces features such as procedurally-generated levels, so no two missions are ever the same; a standalone Psionic soldier class along with new Psionic abilities; and terrifying new alien enemies.
- XCOM on the run: Take command of the Avenger, an alien supply craft converted to XCOM’s mobile headquarters. New open-ended gameplay lets you decide where to guide your strike team, how to grow popular support, and when to combat enemy counter-operations.
- Recruit Resistance fighters: Five soldier classes, each with its own skill tree, let you create specific soldiers for your tactical plan.
- Tactical guerrilla combat: New gameplay systems offer more tactical flexibility in combat. Use concealment to ambush enemy patrols. Loot enemies for precious gear and artifacts. Rescue VIPs and save fallen comrades by carrying them to the extraction point.
- A new breed of enemy: A diverse cast of enemies from powerful new alien species to the ADVENT, enforcers of the alien regime, offer a distinct tactical challenge.
- Research, develop and upgrade: Configure and build rooms on the Avenger to give XCOM new capabilities on the battlefield. Use your Scientists and Engineers to research, develop and upgrade weapons and armor to fit your preferred tactics.
- Each mission is a unique challenge: Go on missions around the world, from wildlands to the heart of the alien-controlled megacities, to the depths of alien installations. There are virtually infinite combinations of maps, missions and goals.
- Engage in cross-platform multiplayer on Steam: Mix-and-match squads of humans and aliens and battle head-to-head on randomly-generated maps across Mac, Linux and Windows.
XCOM 2 is available as a standalone base game and as the XCOM 2 Digital Deluxe Edition. The XCOM 2 Digital Deluxe Edition comprises the base game, the Reinforcement Pack and the XCOM 2 digital soundtrack.
The Reinforcement Pack consists of three content packs, which will be released individually through Spring-Summer 2016: Anarchy’s Children, Alien Hunters, and Shen’s Last Gift. The Reinforcement Pack is also available to buy separately.
“We are delighted to be launching XCOM 2 for Linux and Mac day-and-date with the Windows release,” said David Stephen, Managing Director of Feral Interactive. “We’re looking forward to Mac and Linux gamers making a powerful contribution to the remnant XCOMforces.”
Steam Controller Integration:
XCOM 2‘s native integration allows the player to do the following with the Steam Controller:
- Use a different control scheme based on the in-game situation.
- Experience precise and responsive 1:1 camera controls using the touchpads in the Geoscape and the Tactical view.
- Instantly select your ability with the flexibility of the controller’s Touch Menus.
For a limited time, the Steam Controller is available bundled with XCOM 2 at a 40% discount! Customers that have already pre-ordered XCOM 2 through Steam can still benefit from the discount on the controller if they purchase it separately.
XCOM 2 is available through Steam, the Feral Store and other online stores for $59.99/£34.99/€49,99. XCOM 2 will retail for US $49.99/£39.99/€49.99. XCOM 2 Digital Deluxe Edition is available only via Steam and retails for $74.99/£47.99/€64,99.
The Reinforcement Pack is available from Steam and third-party stores and retails for $19.99/£15.99/€19,99.
For more information, please see the XCOM 2 minisite.