Initially the worldwide release for XCOM 2 was slated for November. Now Take Two and developer #Firaxis have #announced the strategy sequel will release for Linux, Mac and Window PC platforms until February 5, 2016.
Posted on the official blog, Firaxis came clean with fans about the later release, stating that the creative team is set to create “a great follow-up to Enemy Unknown,” which requires more time than originally anticipated.
“We want to give you an update on the release date for XCOM 2. We’ve set a high bar for the sequel and the entire team has been working hard to make sure we deliver a great follow-up to Enemy Unknown. We just need a little more time to make it the best possible game.
With XCOM 2, we want to have more depth, more replayability, and more investment in your soldiers and this extension will give us the time we need to deliver on our promise to you.”
Take Two is used to release new title to the crowded holiday period, such as Evolve which ended up being rescheduled for a February launch. A strategy that is becoming common for AAA game development, quite often making sure to keep to positive media reviews and ensure players receive the gameplay they expect.
- XCOM ON THE RUN: Take command of the Avenger, an alien supply craft converted to XCOM’s mobile headquarters. Guide your strike force around the world, build popular support and expose the aliens’ sinister plans.
- RECRUIT RESISTANCE FIGHTERS: Five soldier classes, each with its own skill tree including new class abilities like Momentum, let you create specific soldiers for your tactical plan.
- TACTICAL GUERRILLA COMBAT: New gameplay systems offer more tactical flexibility in combat. The state of the world affects each combat mission’s environment. Use concealment to ambush enemy patrols. Loot enemies for precious gear and artifacts. Rescue VIPs and save fallen comrades by carrying them to the extraction point.
- A NEW BREED OF ENEMY: A diverse cast of enemies from powerful new alien species to the ADVENT, enforcers of the alien regime, offer a distinct tactical challenge.
- RESEARCH, DEVELOP AND UPGRADE: Configure and build rooms on the Avenger to give XCOM new capabilities on the battlefield. Use your Scientists and Engineers to research, develop and upgrade weapons and armor to fit your preferred tactics.
- EACH MISSION IS A UNIQUE CHALLENGE: Go on missions around the world, from wildlands to the heart of the alien-controlled megacities, to the depths of alien installations. There are virtually infinite combinations of maps, missions and goals.
- CREATE CUSTOM MODS: Community-focused tools allow you to create your own campaign, tactical gameplay, aliens, classes, strategy game features, and share within the Steam Workshop.
- ENGAGE IN HEAD-TO-HEAD MULTIPLAYER: Mix-and-match squads of humans and aliens and battle head-to-head on randomly-generated maps.
The Firaxis’ sequel, originally unveiled through a marketing campaign leading up to E3, and slated to release on Linux, Mac, Window PC.