The Spatials is a #space colony-building #strategy #simulation game for Linux, Mac and Windows PC. Or maybe better described as a Theme Park/Theme Hospital in space with guns. A year or so since the original release, The Spatials is now being redone as “an even deeper, more rewarding simulation game,” according to Barcelona-based developers Weird and Wry. The Spatials: Galactology just launched on Early Access for Linux, Mac and Windows PC.
“Weird and Wry is a Barcelona game development studio founded in 2014 by two brothers: Carlos and Max Carrasco. Carlos (a programmer) and Max (an artist) share a love for simulation games and classic play — which heavily influenced The Spatials, their first project. Inspired by the great classic sim games of the ’90s, The Spatials combined classic base-building gameplay (based on isometric tile room building) with a real-time combat system and an exploration campaign. The Spatials was released on Steam in March 2015 and took off! Thanks to its success and growing fan base, The Spatials spawned a sequel — The Spatials: Galactology, which updates the original concept with deeper gameplay and a whole new take on the space station management business.”
- Design a space station and watch your crew as they build it in real time
- More freedom for your designs: use any room with any objects, color the floor tiles as you wish
- Reinforce your space station with new buildings, management decisions, and staff
- Assemble robots to assist with station chores
- Explore a detailed simulation with many systems to play with — including manufacturing, research, healthcare, disease, emotional breakdowns, combat, hunger, thirst, cleaning, decay, security, FIRE!, and more
- Handle complex logistics, requiring restocking and inventory control
- Earn in-game cash by growing your space station’s hospitality business
- Designate staff for your bar or your research lab
- Visitors and officers have a mind of their own. Make sure their needs are met!
- Build hospitals to care for the wounded and diseased
- Secure your station with cameras, scanners and turrets
- A randomly-generated galaxy with 100+ planets
- Build spaceships and explore the galaxy
- Explore the surface of planets and asteroids
- Engage in real-time combat to forge alliances and make new enemies
- Find natural resources, civilizations and ancient ruins
- Establish trade routes with your allies
- Develop and download gameplay mods from the Steam Workshop
- And more, much more is coming!
The real-time building and populating of a space station, complete with utilities and amenities, looks familiar but the efforts behind the Early Accessed is to rethink and build a community around the new game. Moving forward, the developers plan on publishing new builds on a monthly basis, follow the link to the development road map, where players can review the game’s planned and upcoming features.
If you own the original The Spatials and purchased the game via Steam before July 5, players can get the new title for free.
The Spatials: Galactology offers new items, new structures to build, new trade routes, planets with new variables, with full Steam Workshop support. Again, the release is free if you already own the original.
However The Spatials: Galactology is out available now on Steam Early Access with a 25% discount until July 14th for Linux, Mac and Windows PC.
- OS: Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit
- Processor: 1.3 Ghz or higher (64 bit only!)
- Memory: 4096 MB RAM
- Graphics: Intel HD 3000+ / AMD Radeon HD 4000+ / NVIDIA GeForce GT 200+
- Storage: 300 MB available space
- Additional Notes: Requires stable OpenGL 3.2 drivers with GLSL support