The latest in gaming news, Kova, a #sidescrolling metroidvania-style #RPG for Linux, Mac and Windows PC. Due to #gameplay taking place in the technologically advanced future, where humankind has colonised planets across far-off galaxies. Now available on Greenlight right now, with a crowdfunding campaign coming next week.
So Kova Rimor is a space mercenary on her way to the next payday. Stumbling across a foreign beacon when her ship is suddenly overcome by another ship. Crash-landing on an uninhabited, icy planet. What is the mystery behind this beacon? Where does it come from?
Hence players will have to unravel the story and contents. And answer another perplexing question: “Why have humans been alone in the Universe?”
- Join one of three factions, each with their own perks, missions and dialog options
- Craft shift upgrades, ammo and other items
- FPS-like combat controls paired-down for 2D, allowing you to fully aim and control trajectory
- Take on side missions to get information and earn credits, so you can upgrade your skills, ship and weapons
- Uncover one of the universe’s greatest mysteries by collecting and analyzing beacons
- Explore a variety of planets with their own distinct atmosphere, different town hubs and side-missions to take on.
So players craft their own ship upgrades, ammo and items. While engaging in combat that allows you to aim and control the type of fire. Hence a twin-stick like combat system. Side missions will earn players credits, since these can be used to upgrade loadouts and each planet will have their own distinct atmospheres.
“nvestigating the mystery behind this alien-like beacon, you’ll explore different planets and interact with allies and foes alike that may push you to change tactics, battling hostile forces and taking on side missions to increase the abilities of your weapons, suit and ship, metroidvania-style.”
So even though this Greenlight campaign is some solid Linux gaming news, there is no release date announced yet. Hopefully this will be revealed during Kova‘s Kickstarter coming next week. So stay tuned.