So the Long War 2 is a follow-up to probably one of the most popular XCOM free mod’s yet. Since the #gamemod is now available for download via the #SteamWorkshop. Hence the release emerged less than 24 hours after 2K published a basic outline of the games #features. Since it is already one of the most popular XCOM 2 free mod’s since the perk and laser packs.
Of course, if you are new to Long War, this makes XCOM 2 games much more difficult than the base game.
Feral has announced they are working on an update to the base-game XCOM 2 for Mac and Linux to properly support Long War 2. Some players have reported a workaround they are using in the meantime.
We’ll also need to provide non-bink versions of our mod’s custom cinematic sequences. That will be in our first patch to the mod, which we are working on now.
So the Long War 2 makes some substantial changes to the base XCOM 2 gameplay experience. Since players have more to do in the games regional level, the recruiting and research efforts are now tying into specific zones. While micro-managing tends to get very tedious and complicated, not only taking more time, contacting each new section of the globe. So there is a new brain behind ADVENT, which also tailors organization duties to each region. Giving players new ways to take back the planet from the alien forces on Earth. Hence Long War 2 goes even further, changing the way players recruit new soldiers.
For more details on Long War 2, check out the blog post from 2K or the listing in the Steam Workshop above.
Since the is also a new gameplay video on the XCOM YouTube channel.
See the new free mod in action:
XCOM 2 Long War 2 is currently only available for Windows PC, so no Linux support. Which is rather sad considering the base games native build and with all of these mod features…..
XCOM 2 the new mission types:
- Jailbreak – XCOM must infiltrate an ADVENT jail and rescue key Resistance members. Success increases the strength of the Resistance in that region.
- Haven Defense – A variation on Retaliation missions where XCOM must defend Resistance members against an onslaught of ADVENT forces until the Skyranger can get into position for extraction.
- ADVENT Base Assault – XCOM must deploy to and overtake a well-defended regional military headquarters.
- Invasion – ADVENT attempts to retake a liberated region by assaulting a city center. XCOM must destroy a psionic relay that summons continuous reinforcements, then eliminate any remaining forces.
- Rendezvous – A Faceless disguised as a member of the Resistance is detected as it goes to meet with its ADVENT handlers and XCOM must hunt it down.
- ADVENT Supply Raid – XCOM must defend a supply convoy and its Resistance personnel from ADVENT attacks.
- ADVENT Intel Raid – ADVENT attacks a Resistance listening post and XCOM must repel the attack.
- ADVENT Recruiting Raid – ADVENT forces attack Resistance recruiters within a region. XCOM must extract those Resistance members.
Be sure to throw a Linux comment on the Workdshop page for Long War 2. XCOM 2 launched with native support, so this is the time to show some love for Linux.