Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition is back in the news with Patch 8162 update for Linux, Mac and Windows. Well this update is specifically more focused on multiplayer.
Since this update brings all kinds of multiplayer goodness. Thanks to all of the Steam players for trying out the previous builds in the new Development branch. Which means Beamdog are hard at work with more content and fixes.
Beamdog Release Update:
“Work’s continuing. Plenty to do!
We haven’t set a release date as of yet, but we’ll be sure to share when we do.”
So there are no specifics regarding the release just yet. But Beamdog are definitely hard at work. Check out the multiplayer update changes below.
Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition Multiplayer:
- Relays! We added experimental support to carry your connection over authenticated relays, hosted on our end. This is fully automatic and transparent for both players. A relay connection will be chosen if all other attempts fail. And server hosts (servers and scripting will still “see” the actual client IP). This will take care of all remaining connection issues. Since these cannot use UDP hole punching.
- We added support for the material file format (.mtr) as described in last weeks’ patch notes; reproduced below for your convenience.
- Per-vertex static lighting now works properly when enabling normal mapping. Using a stream that indicates the direction of the brightest light from the location of the vertex. And approximate normal mapping using that information.
- Clicking on “Join Game” in the Steam friends list while already using a connection to another server. This will now be handled more gracefully.
- History/Favourites now displays server data from the masterserver list to avoid connection issues.
- LAN enumeration has a slight improvement for finding multiple servers on the same host.
- Server listing speed has an improvement.
- Toolset performance when loading/accessing placeable-related functions has an improvement.
- Toolset performance when working with the object tree in area view sees an improvement.
- Rendering performance has improvements. (This is not the Skybox issue; we’re still looking into this).
- The camera limits can now be set in nwnplayer.ini (see below).
- Joining a multiplayer game through the Friends system, while already playing on a server, gets an improvement.
Also, the nwnplayer.ini file can be found in “~/.local/share/Neverwinter Nights” on Linux.
- A memory leak gets a fix in the Toolset. Since this would exhibit every time after a script compiling.
- We now compile the Linux binaries with 64-bit-only filesystem API support (so that nwserver runs properly inside docker-on-mac/windows).
- Fixed a crash in the Toolset when trying to static-light a mesh with zero vertices (as seen by some custom tilesets, and the humongous bell).
- A fix to Steam thumbnails to update properly on changes, not just on initial upload.
- We fixed the Toolset crashing on Intel GPUs.
- A huge shadows-related memleak gets a fix in the toolset. This happena when loading areas.
- “Input player name” is no longer covered by the Direct Connect UI.
- LAN “Connect” button now works as expected.
- Toolset now remembers window position between starts.
- Servers displayed in the History/Favourites panel now grey out properly when they are unknown to the masterserver.
- The multiplayer server list will now properly highlight passworded servers in red.
- Premium Modules now work in multiplayer again. (Note that some modules are not available for multiplayer. Since their scripting/design might prevent proper functioning.)
Pre-order for Linux, Mac, Windows
Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition is available by pre-ordering on Beamdog. Since you will get you a Steam key. And also jump into that multiplayer.