Indie #developer Grimm Bros opted for a retro, SNES-inspired style for its debut game, Dragon Fin Soup. The developer recently achieved its $24,000 goal on Kickstarter to bring the RPG to PC, Mac, Linux, PS4, PS3 and Vita. A #Tactical #Action RPG with roguelike elements set in a charming, twisted, dark, fairy tale inspired world featuring a 2D top down camera and fluid turn-based movement that allows you to set the pace.
Sporting turn-based movement and a classic 2D top-down visual style, Dragon Fin Soup is an action RPG with roguelike qualities set in the world of Asura, which rests on the back of a giant “dragon-turtle.” Players can learn more about the world through a blend of scripted events and quests as well as procedurally-generated content in the game’s story mode, led by Dragon Fin Soup‘s first playable character, Red Robin. It also features a survival mode marked by permanent death in which players are dropped into a dangerous forest with limited supplies, fighting their way through generated dungeons that increase in difficulty.
- Beautiful HD World – The world of Dragon Fin Soup is charming, colorful, detailed and designed to look fantastic at multiple HD resolutions and screen sizes.
- Collectible Pet Familiars – You can have up to 2 pets familiars active at the same time. You will be able to collect a variety of pets each with their own stats and level that will grow while fighting at your side.
- Crafted Story Quests – Our story quests are carefully written and scripted to advance the unfolding tale of your character within the world of Asura. No spoilers!
- Deep Tactical Combat – Combat features multiple tactical elements such as directional damage, various ranged attacks, melee, magic, DOT and AOA. The damage model features blunt, piercing and slashing damage types as well as elemental damage, projectile damage and defense. You can perform Backstabs, sneak around and so on. Over 15 equipment slots and dual-wielding feature offer interesting choices of gear combinations.
- Dynamically Generated World – The world of Asura is dynamically generated with a large numbers of prefabricated landmarks, scripted events and random gameplay elements. Our dungeons features a wide range of compelling locations and layouts for you to explore such as Spider Forests, Ice Caves, Abandoned Mines, Scorching Deserts, Mushroom Forests, Haunted Mansions, Castles, Ancient Ruins and much much more.
- Extensive Crafting – Loot everywhere! While cutting down foes and trees, digging and exploring you will find gazillions of items that can be used to craft new gear, food, magic potions and what not!
- Fluid Turn based Gameplay – Streamlined controls, movement and combat allow for you to set your own pace of progression. Choose to speed-up to quickly move and strike or slow-down to carefully plan your next move.
- High Accessibility – We designed fun and intuitive controls for your play style choice. Keyboard, Mouse, Keyboard + Mouse, Joypad, and Touch controls are all supported.
- Interactive Environment – In the world you can destroy, move or manipulate a wide range of props, trees, rocks, blocks, and chests. Beware of trees falling over if you cut them down!
- Mini Games & Puzzles – Tired of killing? Kick back and relax! Go fishing or pick up a shovel and dig some holes into the ground, who knows what you may find? There is much to do in DFS aside of spilling blood! Rune tracking, gathering, puzzles, side quests, fishing! Dungeons are loaded with scripted events, ambushes, traps and movable blocks!
- NPCs for Hire – Having trouble with a mission or need company? Hire some muscle! Badass Sword specialists, Metal Head Rangers or a dude who will carry your purse are at your service!
- Procedurally Generated Missions – We offer a variety of fun and engaging mission themes such as escort, gathering, retrieval, raid, delivery, seek-and-destroy, and crafting.
- Twisted Characters – In Dragon Fin Soup there are no lame stereotypical heroes. Instead we feature fairy tale inspired characters each with their own deep flaws, witty humor, abilities, and motivations. Our first tale begins with Red Robin, whose dark bloody past has come back to haunt her with a vengeance.
- Unpredictable Weather & Day/Night Cycles – Each time you visit or revisit a location a new kind of weather will be picked randomly. Day and night cycles gradually progress the more game turns pass. Beware of dangerous monsters rumored to hunt during specific times!
Dragon Fin Soup still has roughly three weeks to go before its crowdfunding campaign ends, and is seeking stretch goals to fund expansions and port the game to the Sony platforms. It was among the 75 games recently approved for Steam distribution via Greenlight. Grimm Bros was founded by former Human Head COO Ash Monif and artist Randis Albion in March 2013.
Sourced from: joystiq.com