Rogue Legacy 2 roguelite game’s Linux build is incoming plus a Windows PC launch. All due to further details and information from developer Cellar Door Games. A game that is killing it in Steam Early Access with 97% Very Positive reviews.
Famed roguelite, Rogue Legacy 2, is due to officially launch on Windows PC on April 28th, 2022. To celebrate the announcement, Cellar Door Games have today released a brand new animated cinematic. Alongside the release of Rogue Legacy for free on the Epic Games store between April 7-14th.
Having launched into Early Access back in August 2020, Rogue Legacy 2 surpasses its predecessor. Doing so by building upon its manor and improving almost every area of the game. From a brand new art style (3D characters set against stunning hand drawn backgrounds), all new weaponry, abilities, and classes. While offering fresh biome generation for greater strategic choice. SO that the scope and ambition of Rogue Legacy 2 is far more vast.
The only thing missing for Rogue Legacy 2, is Linux support. Despite numerous threads in the STeam Discussions. As well as solid support via Proton. We have good news from developer Cellar Door Games, Linux is coming.
Can we expect to see a Linux port? We are planning on one, but not sure if it will be ready for launch.
Since Unity 3D is being used for development, this makes porting far easier. But as stated in the email reply, Linux support may not arrive at launch. Although it is coming, you know, after a 2 year wait.
Rogue Legacy 2 – Official Release Date Trailer
The sequel also introduces Heirlooms to truly push that unique metroidvania feel. Rogue Legacy 2 also offers its heroes new abilities. Alongside this, the game vastly improves traits to bring greater value to their risk versus reward gameplay. While making huge strides in accessibility to let players succeed even when they’re struggling.
- Every Adventure is Unique: New monsters, new traps, and new layouts. All await you every time you enter the Kingdom. This is a world where improv and not memorization is the key to success.
- Wildly New Classes: No two classes play the same. Hide atop Ivy Canopies as the Ranger, and rain poisoned arrows down onto your foes. Take to the skies as a Dragon Lancer and fly across the skies striking foes at massive speeds. Or sing and dance through your enemies. Doing so as the joyous bard, leaving only a trail of bodies behind you. Rogue Legacy 2 supports 15 new classes, with 15 distinct styles of play.
- Brand New Style: Cellar Door are taking a whole new artistic approach to Rogue Legacy 2. The sequel features 2.5D stylings, with 3D characters against hand-drawn backdrops. The art uses heavy shading and all animations. All done using stepping techniques to keep the familiar RL look and feel.
- Revamped Biome Generation: Cellar Door went all out with biome generation to make each area in Rogue Legacy 2 feel totally new. Each biome adopts different “build strategies” to create completely unique yet still randomly generated regions.
- True Metroidvania: To really push the roguelite metroidvania flair, RL2 introduces heirlooms. Due to special items that permanently give your heroes new abilities that fully reveal the world’s secrets. These are not basic lock in key abilities, but powers that greatly change how you play. And heirlooms are not simply handed to you. You must prove your worth, provided you can find them.
- Traits 2.0: Though fun the first time, the roguelite traits in RL1 often wore their welcome later in the game. Cellar Door now add gold modifiers to entice players to take on new challenges. The more fatiguing the trait is (in-game), the bigger the reward. This makes choosing your heirs a meaningful decision every time.
- Relics and Resolve: One of the most exciting new features to Rogue Legacy 2 is the ability to pick up Relics. These are unique items that change how your run is played. Gain stat modifiers, complete special challenges, and even gain brand new abilities as you traverse the kingdom. But be careful, the more Relics you obtain the more your resolve is shaken. All Relics are lost if your hero perishes.
Improvements, Story, and just more:
- Improved Accessibility: Cellar Door have taken accessibility to the next level with the introduction of House Rules. Toggle contact damage, tweak global damage, and health. Even give yourself flight for difficult platform sections. You have complete control over how you want to play the game. Cellar Door also introduced new mechanics such as Off-shore Banking to give struggling players more ways to succeed.
- A Rich Narrative: Not only is the lore to the world of Rogue Legacy greatly expanded in the sequel, but it runs deep. New lore awaits you all the multiple NG’s in. Beating Rogue Legacy 2 once is only the beginning. Learn about the inevitable collapse of a once thriving kingdom. While you discover the dark secrets of the ones responsible. And connect and build relationships with the characters you meet along the way.
- New Game+ for Days: Your journey has only begun after beating the final boss in Rogue Legacy 2. There is a ton more to explore and discover on multiple playthroughs. You must choose how the game gets harder, from unique biome hazards, to special boss fights. The gameplay keeps changing for near infinite replayability.
- More of Everything: Of course, Rogue Legacy 2 roguelite also adds more of everything people love in the original Rogue Legacy. Added traits, more spells, more classes, more biomes, more enemies, more equipment, more rooms, more story. Plus more secrets… Just more everything.
Rogue Legacy 2 launch date:
Rogue Legacy 2 is due to launch on April 28th, 2022 for Windows PC. Although Linux support, we may have a slight wait. Priced at $24.99 USD / £21.99 / 21,99€ via Steam.